Not Loged In - Login Now or Create Account
Public Forums
Forums   General Discussion  Up'n Down - Spotted for 1st Time

AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
Robert

Up'n Down - Spotted for 1st Time
on 6/18/2013 11:43:39 PM
I've been playing "Up'n Down" on MAME for some time now, and over the past few years have spotted a couple of weird things pop up.

Initially it was a penguin that resembled "Pengo", and also a dancing purple monster. But on far rarer occasions I have spotted even stranger objects, starting with the orange worm that I discovered for the first time tonight, and a car carrying a checkered flag on only one other performance.

I saved the INPs of each of the above (WolfMAME 106) just in case. Was wondering if anyone else has experience at this game who may shed some light on this.

Years back in one of the "back in the day" arcade magazines (probably "Joystick" or "Electronic Gaming Monthly") I recall seeing a small write-up on the game which mentioned the trick to getting the penguin to appear, something like you have to reach level 4 by clearing level 3 with 50K or more, but that does not work consistently. When I do see the penguin, however, it is always in the same spot, in the water under some bridges. The dancing purple monster is always in a grassy field and inside one of the circular holes in the ground.

Steve W

RE: Up'n Down - Spotted for 1st Time
on 6/19/2013 7:50:31 AM
Robert Wrote:
I recall seeing a small write-up on the game which mentioned the trick to getting the penguin to appear, something like you have to reach level 4 by clearing level 3 with 50K or more, but that does not work consistently. When I do see the penguin, however, it is always in the same spot, in the water under some bridges.

Need to pass the 1st 4 rounds in under a minute each for Pengo to grace you with his royal presence.

Robert

on 6/19/2013 7:56:05 PM
I can do that every time, but the penguin does not always come out...and I do seem to recall that aspect of causing it to appear, thanks for the refresher.

Still no idea what flags the dancing purple monster either.

Robert

on 7/6/2013 7:40:41 PM
Well, I finally managed to capture car that carries the checkered flag. Happened in round 10, and for some reason that is the round that I tend to see this car appear in.

As I had guessed, it is an automatic end to the round regardless of how many flags you have remaining to run over. But there is no additional bonus associated save for the time of completion bonus for under 60 second depending on how quickly you do it...in this case at the 43 second mark.

Still haven't seen "Pengo" appear (WolfMAME 106, parent ROM "UPNDOWN") but I have discovered the orange worm and the dancing purple monster though I am also not sure what causes them to appear.

Up to the 235K mark now, a long way off from the WR.

Robert

on 7/16/2013 12:12:18 AM
Slightly better...304K now, about 2/3 of the WR both in points and rounds reached.

Still unsure what causes the checkered flag car to come out, nor did it in my 304K game. Lots still to be learned about this game, it would seem.

Steve W

on 7/16/2013 10:37:10 AM
Robert Wrote:
Slightly better...304K now, about 2/3 of the WR both in points and rounds reached.

Still unsure what causes the checkered flag car to come out, nor did it in my 304K game. Lots still to be learned about this game, it would seem.

Nice work Robert. That's a hard game!

Robert

on 7/16/2013 11:49:34 PM
Thanks !! I had a chance to revisit this old favourite lately, something I've had little time to do recently until now, so I am happy that things are starting to click in the little time that I have. Just wish I could find one for ACAM, now :)

Steve W

on 7/18/2013 11:15:41 AM
Robert Wrote:
Thanks !! I had a chance to revisit this old favourite lately, something I've had little time to do recently until now, so I am happy that things are starting to click in the little time that I have. Just wish I could find one for ACAM, now :)

Yeah I don't see them pop up too often. I can't remember ever seeing one on location, I think I only ever played it on Coleco.

Page: of 1 Page

Forums   General Discussion  Up'n Down - Spotted for 1st Time

Recent Scores
Andrew Brown
4/19/2024
James White
4/17/2024
Mases Hagopian
4/18/2024
Andrew Iwaszko
4/18/2024
Andrew Iwaszko