Not Loged In - Login Now or Create Account
Public Forums
Forums   General Discussion  New 'barcade' in Des Moines called Up-Down

AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
GDL1

New 'barcade' in Des Moines called Up-Down
on 10/16/2013 10:28:06 PM
A new 'barcade' just opened up in Des Moines last Friday (October 11th) called Up-Down. It is located at 500 E Locust St, Des Moines, IA.

I visited last night and they have a pretty good selection of 80's games plus 10 or so 90's games and 6 pins (see list below). It was right after they opened at 5pm and there were 6-8 people in there, mostly looked like late 20's early 30's types. I felt old.

They had narrow wooden platforms set up between games to set you beer on, which was pretty convenient. No stools that I can recall. It's in a basement so daylight shouldn't be much of a problem.

They were playing mostly newer music. Harder than pop music but not overly loud. There was one non-electronic game that dropped some game pieces when it started and it made a huge 'crunch' that wakes you up if you don't know it's coming.

I only played 4 games because I didn't have a lot of time. Gorf and Defender played very well. The trackball on Centipede needed new rollers. It didn't continue to roll at all if you rolled it and let go. Mario Bros, as well as Dig Dug, had an LCD screen and it played kind of sluggish, so I wonder if it was a 60-in-1 board or something.

Didn't see a lot of scores and they don't have a scoreboard (yet). There was a 79k on Asteroids and 125k on Tron. Didn't talk to any of the staffers besides to order a beer. Next time I will ask about the owners and try to be there a night 1 or more of them are.

Supposedly there are going to have tournaments and what not. There was also a console area set up in the back but whatever ones they have weren't out for display or playing (it said ask).

Game List :

Area 51 Site 4
Asteroids
Burgertime
Centipede
Cruisin' USA (dual)
Defender
Dig Dug (cocktail)
Dig Dug
Donkey Kong Jr (cocktail)
Donkey Kong Jr
Frogger