Not Loged In - Login Now or Create Account
Public Forums
Forums  Projects  Project Machines

AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
DDRMixer

Project Machines
on 1/14/2013 1:13:36 AM
I received an Atari Anti Aircraft (1975) as a present to work on for projects. Got it due to the fact that the machine was completely dead ( ) and had mold and rotten wood on the floor of it.

Thus far I have cut off the bottom of the machine to the point of not having any more rotten wood, however leaving the name from being messed with on the side of the cabinet. Removed all of the inside hardware leaving the cabinet empty. Right now I am working on putting together a machine to put in it. I have a Ipac2 that I am going to use to control the machine. I can swap out the controls so I plan to make a few different control centers e.g. trackball, standard joystick and buttons. I need to check into different monitors since the cabinet is so small it's to the point that I can't just place in a monitor so I am going to custom make one out of an old Dell. Hoping to get this machine done in the summer. Been working on it for a year plus now. Any advice would be welcomed! :)

DDRMixer

RE: Anti Aircraft to MAME
on 5/30/2013 2:15:52 AM
Ended up putting an quick bottom on the machine to get it off the edges of the machine. Also, shaved down the back cover of the machine since the water had warped it. Got to re-glue all of the trimming back on as well. I used wood glue. I am hoping it does the trick. Currently trying to figure out how to put a monitor into this dude. I have a monitor that perfectly fits, however I don't have a proper stand for it. Need to buy some locks for it as well.

Hopefully the nails aren't that noticeable.

DDRMixer

RE: Project Machines
on 7/13/2013 2:27:37 AM
I recently bought a Dance Dance Revolution Supernova machine with a Python 2 system in it, or in other terms, an official Konami kit with a PS2 running the machine. I bought this machine with hardware failure, but I have found that the system is missing the boot CD, which is what the person selling said it is not booting. However, I have contacted Channel Beat, Coin Op Express, and Betson; and either of these companies have the boot disc for my system. I'm asking you guys, what should I do in this case? I am having more than one person saying I should find someone with another supernova cabinet and have them burn the disc for me. Though, I don't know how willing someone would be in that case... An upgrade kit for that unit would be just as rare to get I am finding since I also asked about the upgrade and they said they did not have it either.

On the other end, I am hoping to convert this system into an OpenITG machine and have it run more songs on it than the original system would be able to run. The problem with doing this is that the lights on the machine would no longer work unless I used a third party board or wired them in myself using a parallel port in the computer system. On the other hand using a J-Pac I am buying off of Ebay, I am finding I will need to cut certain wires and rewire certain things before I will be able to safely use the DDR units with the computer. It seems like it's going to take me some time to get this thing ready. I love DDR so this is my top project to get it back and working into an arcade and have it pumping music again. XD

DDRMixer

RE: Project Machines
on 8/4/2013 3:08:36 PM
Sorry, got lots of picture for this next update...

I got my DDR machine project working.

So, I installed an Ultimarc J-Pac to convert the controls over to a computer input. I connected it after the DDR I/O board 'cause it seems like the board that plugs in before that powered certain parts of the I/O board. However, I am still unsure if I plugged it in correctly, but the game operates as is.

I put in a monitor, computer, headphone to RCA, the J-Pac, and hooked the machine in with the computer and got everything going. Plugged in the RCA plug into the DDR amp and it controled just like a DDR machine with a small monitor. I put in OpenITG and was good to go.

Lucky for me a few days after I got it working the music stopped playing after someone kicked the machine. I found that the power supply blew a fuse, but it's a wonderful 12V adjustable power supply and I didn't have any of those in stock and found myself ordering online, which lead into some trouble that I won't get into... However, with that I did find another power supply, but it blew faster than the first one. Thus, I decided to pull the DDR amp inside. However, the 3rd party replacement amp was quite large and I had to remove the Python 2 system instead along with the DDR amp just to get it to barely fit in there.
Removed:

Added:

I am still trying to find a replacement for this amp due to the fact that it does not turn on with the game and you need to turn it on manually... However, that's just a minor detail that will be sorted out later when I have more money. But, yes, that's a dual cassette, radio, record player, stereo. Many joke about it being order than they are with me. :/

Next step for this machine was to clean out the dance floor. For those that are not too familiar with DDR and it's floor sensors, there are four sensors that control one arrow. With this, dirt and other debris get stuck between the sensor and wall causing the sensor not to work as well or pick up that it's being stepped on or other various problems. I cleaned all of these out, took a good four hours. I also added a some thickness to the sensor cover, this helps increase the life of the sensor and helps increase the sensitivity, thus it's a great add on for players and owners.

Added:

Game works as by my standards, but still it can be better.

As of right now I have this machine stored in the arcade I work for. It has become one of the most played machines in the place, which I am quite happy about. However, the other DDR machine is not doing so well since mine has come in, but I hoping to buy that one honestly. XD Though, I have to buy new sensors for my my machine. Coming from Arcade Spare Parts it's going to be ~$400 for all of my machine, ~$162 for just four arrows. Hoping to get some new decals, rubber corner protectors, new floor arrows and "Cool moves" floor covers. Looks like around $1000. Icky.

Still gotta work on my mame Anti-Aircraft. I found that my co-worker has a technique for mounting flat screens inside of cabinets that do not have good mounting spaces. Yay progress!

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkneedReUjo

Page: of 1 Page

Forums  Projects  Project Machines

Recent Scores
Andrew Iwaszko
4/22/2024
Brandon Travis
4/22/2024
Andrew Iwaszko
4/22/2024
Andrew Iwaszko
4/22/2024