Not Loged In - Login Now or Create Account
Public Forums
Forums  Galloping Ghost Arcade  Visiting Galloping Ghost

AuthorComments:  Page: of 3 PagesGo To Next PageGo To Last Page
The_Pro
Admin

Visiting Galloping Ghost
on 8/5/2012 11:55:42 PM
I'll be visiting the arcade from tuesday the 28th up until sunday. Looking forward to it. Will be there most of the time unless looking for food, might go to Chicago for that sometimes. Tasty restaurant suggestions welcome!

tankgunnerOIF1

RE: Visiting Galloping Ghost
on 8/6/2012 12:16:02 AM
Chi town is a mecca for cuisine. What type of food?

The_Pro
Admin

on 8/6/2012 12:26:15 AM
Not much for most indian food, sushi or anything spicy. Other than that no preference, I expect to try various things.

SanTe
Admin

on 8/6/2012 11:03:28 AM
Giordano's Pizza on Rush Street. You need some authentic deep dish while in Chicago. Yeah, Giordano's is overrun with tourists but it's worth it. Best pizza I've ever had, and my wife's from Brooklyn.

Golden Nugget Pancake House is/was an awesome 24-hour greasy spoon diner that served amazing breakfast, but I understand it has new ownership, is being overhauled and renamed, and isn't what it used to be. Shame, because it was worth going out of our way. (This was back in 2008.) There are several locations. I don't remember which one we went to. We took the train to the nearest stop and walked several blocks from there.

tankgunnerOIF1

on 8/6/2012 11:10:07 AM
One of my favorite things about Chicago is the wide range of great foods from different cultures and styles of cooking. I look forward to adding a few extra pounds everytime I visit.

bestcellar

on 8/6/2012 5:38:08 PM
Sorry, I meant to hit "add reply" but I think I added a topic accidentally, twice.

Hey, I'm a year pass member at the arcade, so it's likely we'll cross paths during the week you're in town. I'm usually there 4-5 times a week.

I'd be happy to pass along a ton of restaurant recs, depending on which area of the city you're staying in, what type of cuisine you'd prefer, the price points, and where you would want to travel to. Feel free to PM as the date gets closer.

The_Pro
Admin

on 8/6/2012 8:10:42 PM
I'm actually staying pretty close to the arcade. I'll be using the nearby train to go into town.

Rob Ross

on 8/7/2012 3:07:50 PM
Martin - Are you driving or flying to Chicago?

Zerst

on 8/7/2012 3:15:36 PM
Oof, gonna miss you by two weeks. I'm gonna be down there for the weekend of 17-19. I'll be sure to leave you some scores on the shmups to try and beat.

Edit: not to derail too much, but what version of donpachi and dodonpachi daioujou are there? I didn't check out either of them when I was down there in March. For donpachi, the US version refills all bombs each stage, whereas the JP version adds 1, 2, etc after stage 1, stage 2, etc. With daioujou, version 2 specifically starts up with a choice between a 1 and 2 loop game.

The_Pro
Admin

on 8/7/2012 8:08:47 PM
Rob Ross Wrote:
Martin - Are you driving or flying to Chicago?

Decided to take the bus, since it's 400 cheaper than flying and I've never tried a long bus trip before. I've been told I might regret this decision.

Zerst Wrote:
Oof, gonna miss you by two weeks. I'm gonna be down there for the weekend of 17-19. I'll be sure to leave you some scores on the shmups to try and beat.

Yeah, I heard there was an event there during that time but it just didn't fit my schedule. I'll surely be looking to play some shmups but I won't have time to really practice any beforehand. I'll try and put respectable scores up on various games though. A 2-ALL on donpachi might be possible with little practice if it's the US version.

tankgunnerOIF1

on 8/7/2012 8:28:19 PM
Burn your clothes after riding the bus and dont fall asleep. Good luck dude.

Rob Ross

on 8/7/2012 8:48:10 PM
The bus??? From Montreal to Chicago??? On a bus with no stops you're doing a 16 hour tour in the bowels of Hell. If it picks up people in Cornwall, Belleville, Toronto, Detroit then you will be on that 40 foot loser cruiser for well past 24 hours. Bring a magazine.

Regret the decision you will.

As a side note I drove through Montreal Monday on the way back from Funspot and contemplated just parking my car on the Champlain Bridge and walking away like Bill Murray in Stripes. It may take Martin 4 hours on the bus just to leave downtown Montreal, the roads are that bad......plus francophone driving skills are legendarily bad in Canadian mythology.

tankgunnerOIF1

on 8/7/2012 9:06:31 PM
Canadian mythology? That would make a great comedy

The_Pro
Admin

on 8/7/2012 9:09:30 PM
Nah, I'm on the other side of the bridge. Plus bus lanes. I do have a lot of material to go through on the bus so I don't think I'll be bored. I wasn't worried about sleeping until you mentioned it though, maybe I'll sit a little closer to the front.

The_Pro
Admin

on 8/7/2012 9:10:12 PM
Only the strong can survive driving in Montreal.

mitemouse

on 8/7/2012 10:12:16 PM
I am one of the owners at the Galloping Ghost Arcade.....Below is a list of popular restaurants that are my personal favorites.

Burgerwurks
8819 W. Ogden Ave.
Brookfield, IL 60513
708-387-2333
(Walking Distance)
Awesome burgers!! You definitely get your moneys worth and excellent quality. I recommend the steak sandwich.

Fine Thai
9305 W. Ogden Ave.
Brookfield, IL 60513
708-387-9082
(Walking Distance)
I haven't had any dish that was not good. You can't go wrong here if you like Thai food. My favorite is the Mongolian Beef, Pineapple Beef and combination fried rice.

Di Nico's Pizzeria
42 S. LaGrange Road
LaGrange, IL 60525
708-352-9800
(1mile away)
The owner is from Sicily and has an awesome sauce and gelato recipe. I recommend the thin crust or stadium pepperoni pizza.

Hope this helps!!

Safe Travels!!

The_Pro
Admin

on 8/7/2012 10:24:11 PM
Thanks, will check those out!

bestcellar

on 8/29/2012 2:48:33 PM
Did you end up coming in this week?

HugDD

on 8/30/2012 4:38:32 PM
Pac-Man
Hey Martin,

Thanks for coming, it was great meeting you yesterday evening. I think I'll stop by this evening. Oh hey, congratulations on the world record on Mega Force this morning! :)

-Duc

The_Pro
Admin

on 9/4/2012 7:12:50 PM
Back from Galloping Ghost and had a great time. Met some cool people and enjoyed destroying my wrist slashing away on Strider and shooting on various others. I didn't prepare much beforehand but I think I put up some solid scores, so thanks to the staff for taking them down. Also thanks for the t-shirt and pizza, great flavor choice by the way.

The games were in 99% working condition which is no small feat considering the amount they have to take care of. Double cabinets? Genius.

I ate at all the suggested restaurants except the breakfast place. Di Nico's Pizza and Burgerwurks were awesome. Fine Thai was good too. Giordano's pizza was just ok, their stuffed crust wasn't really my thing, felt like there was too much cheese and the meats didn't really cook so much as warm. I must admit I had many meals at the family restaurant right in front, for convenience sake. Kinda liked it, good breakfast.

Anyway, I definitely plan to return someday.

Page: of 3 PagesGo To Next PageGo To Last Page

Forums  Galloping Ghost Arcade  Visiting Galloping Ghost

Recent Scores
Andrew Iwaszko
4/22/2024
Brandon Travis
4/22/2024
Andrew Iwaszko
4/22/2024
Andrew Iwaszko
4/22/2024
James White