Not Loged In - Login Now or Create Account
Public Forums
Forums   General Discussion  Updating/submitting location and game data

AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
LaughingOtter

Updating/submitting location and game data
on 2/25/2013 11:48:40 PM
I've often found it's best just to submit a list of games. Some things are pretty obvious (like BattleZone or 720 or Marble Madness) but some things need some clearing up.
You want to report that some place has The Avengers. That's a toughie because it's not only a Konami side-scroller but a Stern pinball machine, and to make things even more fun there are three different models of this same game.
Harley-Davidson is another good example. Both video and at least four pinball machines, yeah?
Playboy, Bally 1978 or one of the three(?) newer Stern things?
Even Spider-Man. Is it the old 1978 Gottlieb or one of the three(?) newer Stern models?

OK, enough of that.

One of the reasons I respect and refer Aurcade is because they list about 300 games that neither pinballmap.com, IPDB or KLOV list (arcade-museum, whatever)
Another is that there really isn't a comprehensive online videogames guide out there besides Aurcade.
And then it's perhaps because I'm a Libra and can't deal with only having one choice. I think my wife would find that funny.
And yet another is that a couple of foreign locations have decided to represent. Who would have imagined Israel being a videogamer's holiday? Denmark and Sweden and Germany, well, you'd kind of expect that, many star-ranked players are from the Northlands. France, you need more pins! UK, some more Scotland and Wales locations would be cool! Martin Ayub Rules OK! Belfast, could you guys chill out enough for a game or two? Romania gives me hope because there IS a pinball scene there! Italy kicks ass too!

And next itup, we'll see what's in South Korea, Japan, and Singapore. Dunno if it's worth trying to go into China.

LaughingOtter

RE: Updating/submitting location and game data
on 2/26/2013 12:21:09 AM
Whoops! Location data! Best submitted as a place name, address, city, and state/province/region/arrgh and country. Plenty of geolocation utilities out there for us admins to sort out the rest!
Location types are helpful. It won't do to drive your kids 30 miles to play Spider-Man if it turns out to be a leather bar, yeah? Good that Aurcade is doing this. Need to extend this to more than one type per location, though.

Nashvillan
Admin

on 2/26/2013 1:37:07 AM
LaughingOtter Wrote:
Whoops! Location data! Best submitted as a place name, address, city, and state/province/region/arrgh and country. Plenty of geolocation utilities out there for us admins to sort out the rest!
Location types are helpful. It won't do to drive your kids 30 miles to play Spider-Man if it turns out to be a leather bar, yeah? Good that Aurcade is doing this. Need to extend this to more than one type per location, though.

I have been lobbying for a few years now to expand the list of location types to include places like truckstops, hotels, and the like. And to your point, The Wizard of Oz pinball was spotted at a bar in NYC called Two Bits Retro. You can't take your kids to it because it is a 21 and over bar.

Also, there's not a category for this, but I like to add to the description what currency the games operate on. That's a big plus to the gamer searching for games.

Nashvillan
Admin

on 2/26/2013 1:55:51 AM
LaughingOtter Wrote:
I've often found it's best just to submit a list of games. Some things are pretty obvious (like BattleZone or 720 or Marble Madness) but some things need some clearing up.
You want to report that some place has The Avengers. That's a toughie because it's not only a Konami side-scroller but a Stern pinball machine, and to make things even more fun there are three different models of this same game.
Harley-Davidson is another good example. Both video and at least four pinball machines, yeah?
Playboy, Bally 1978 or one of the three(?) newer Stern things?
Even Spider-Man. Is it the old 1978 Gottlieb or one of the three(?) newer Stern models?

OK, enough of that.

One of the reasons I respect and refer Aurcade is because they list about 300 games that neither pinballmap.com, IPDB or KLOV list (arcade-museum, whatever)
Another is that there really isn't a comprehensive online videogames guide out there besides Aurcade.
And then it's perhaps because I'm a Libra and can't deal with only having one choice. I think my wife would find that funny.
And yet another is that a couple of foreign locations have decided to represent. Who would have imagined Israel being a videogamer's holiday? Denmark and Sweden and Germany, well, you'd kind of expect that, many star-ranked players are from the Northlands. France, you need more pins! UK, some more Scotland and Wales locations would be cool! Martin Ayub Rules OK! Belfast, could you guys chill out enough for a game or two? Romania gives me hope because there IS a pinball scene there! Italy kicks ass too!

And next up, we'll see what's in South Korea, Japan, and Singapore. Dunno if it's worth trying to go into China.

First off, I thank you for your kind words. It's not easy to find information on some of these games when nobody else online has documentation on it! I have to do some research on it and pull whatever I can find and submit information on that game. Sometimes the Aurcade members (that's you guys!!) are able to help me out by submitting pictures of the game at the location and from there I am able to gather the information on it to add it to the database as a new game.

Yes, I frequently reply back to certain submissions because they are "vague" on what the game is. The most recent example of this was when somebody submitted "Batman" to the database... that's it... just... Batman. No mention if it was a video game or a pinball. Turned out to be a pinball, so then I asked which one it was. After much questioning, we finally figured out it was Sega's Batman Forever. Sometimes it is a frustrating process, but you just have to have lots of patience to make sure these entries are correct. Alittle extra patience now goes a long way to a gamer who could have gotten his hopes up spending lots of resources traveling to a location that had a mislabeled game.

As for the Asian locations? We know South Korea and Japan have many modern arcades over there. It is much tougher to document though because they do not permit cameras in their facilities and it is heavily enforced. Addresses are tougher to pin down too.

Great points all around. Thanx again!

LaughingOtter

on 2/28/2013 11:58:21 PM
OK, so what do you want to do about lots of locations that have only one game or pin? You want to list them all?

LaughingOtter

on 3/1/2013 12:07:29 AM
Yeah, addresses can be a nightmare in a number of Pan-Asian cities. Thankfully we both use geolocation coordinates and let the Google Maps page sort out actually getting there.
It looks like Pinside has four locations in Japan and two in Singapore, That should count for something.

simpsons99

on 3/1/2013 1:09:56 AM
How do i get my games listed? I would allso love to submit scores.. But this is only done from Arcades and what not?

LaughingOtter

on 3/1/2013 1:13:34 AM
I just posted something about submitting my house as a location on occasion. Let's see what the admins say about this!

Nashvillan
Admin

on 3/1/2013 3:11:26 AM
Wow, lots of questions. Ok, let's see if I can answer them all.

Locations that only have 1 game? They count too!

One stipulation though. Do not count Golden Tee Live series, Silver Strike Live series, PowerPutt Live series, and Target Toss Pro games by themselves. Reason for it is because the manufacturer already has a database of these games in place and we would just be retreading.. Now if they have some other arcade game like Ms. Pac-Man/Galaga and Golden Tee Live, then sure, we'll go ahead and count it.

Personal collections are only listed on this database with exclusive permission. You can however, go to your profile and click on the tab marked "Collection" and create your list there. There's another website that dedicates themselves to private arcade collections. We stress locations that are open to the public. You can also submit "Personal Scores" on your profile as well.

As far as submitting official scores to the Aurcade scoreboard? There's several things that must happen.
1) It must be at a public location where you game in the presence of your peers. Conventions (or your official meetings) would make for good places to submit scores.
2) The location itself must be set up to accept submitted scores. (I can take care of that)
3) The game must be set up in the system to accept scores (most classic titles are... the more modern games not so much)
4) The game must be set on manufacturer defaults. (Games with an ACS symbol next to them are permitted to accept scores from non-default settings)
-most importantly-
5) The entire playing of the game must be witnessed by an official Aurcade referee!

This is why so few locations are set up to accept scores.

Hope that helps! Now I'm going to bed.

gamegrid
Official

on 10/22/2013 5:42:00 PM
Sorry to dredge up an old thread but it looks like my question fits. It's about website functionality in regards to game data.

When I try to remove a game from the floor by unchecking the "On Floor" box, it does not save the change, whether I click on save changes or just click outside the box. Not sure if there is another workaround for that or not. Thanks in advance.

Nashvillan
Admin

on 10/22/2013 6:05:14 PM
Yeap, there's a current issue with the website.
I run into the same problem. The only way I get around that is either enabling or disabling scoreboard settings or going to the drop down menu and change the game. Either way, the goal is to bring up the blue box "Save and add another". Then you can make your changes and click on the blue box and then click the green box.
This problem isn't on all platforms though. I don't run across this with my droid tablet for example.

Page: of 1 Page

Forums   General Discussion  Updating/submitting location and game data

Recent Scores
Andrew Iwaszko
4/22/2024
Brandon Travis
4/22/2024
Andrew Iwaszko
4/22/2024
Andrew Iwaszko
4/22/2024
James White