Not Loged In - Login Now or Create Account
Public Forums
Forums   General Discussion  OTHER "OFFS"

AuthorComments:  Page: of 3 PagesGo To Next PageGo To Last Page
Rob Ross

OTHER "OFFS"
on 11/19/2012 9:45:02 AM
The Kong Off (1&2) appear to be a relative hit. Are there other games that could go the same route?

IMO the next one should be a FROG OFF. Maybe the Galloping Ghost or another arcade could host in late 2013 which would allow people to practice. The bar for entry could be set at 750,000 or the top 10 players. This would also allow the spotlight to be cast somewhere else for a change. God knows DK is starting to get a tad bit saturated.

TG says they want to do some arcade tournament series at different locations, but who has the time or travel money to compete? A once a year event is much easier on everyone.

I believe these "OFF" competitions (can you imagine the marketing campaign if we did one for the game Wacko?) are far better to organize.

Auric
Founder

RE: OTHER "OFFS"
on 11/19/2012 10:22:34 AM
ACAM and Funspot started the 'OFF' competitions with the original Frog-Off, which is where the 'OFF' competitions got their start.

I drank WHAT!?! - Socrates

zaz_cag

on 11/19/2012 10:40:40 AM
Galaga-Off.

Rob Ross

on 11/19/2012 10:50:06 AM
@ David
Whu- whu-what? There has already been a Frogger tourney? That's awesome! When was that and where the hell was I?

@zaz
Holy Hell Ya! Galaga Off would pull in everyone and his uncle out from under rocks.

How about a location hosting multiple OFFs simultaneously? Do a FROGOFF, GALAGAOFF and KONGOFF3 at Pax East?

tankgunnerOIF1

on 11/19/2012 11:03:21 AM
Head-On Off? I'll be hear all week folks! don't forget to tip the waitress.

mpstulir

on 11/19/2012 11:15:54 AM
Rob Ross Wrote:
@ David
Whu- whu-what? There has already been a Frogger tourney? That's awesome! When was that and where the hell was I?

ACAM & Funspot were the originators of the "-Off" concept. Our first one was held in 2009 and was based around Frogger. It involved involved top players Pat Laffaye and Donald Hayes. We had others planned, but elected not to pursue any more after our concept was copied by others.

Rob Ross Wrote:
How about a location hosting multiple OFFs simultaneously? Do a FROGOFF, GALAGAOFF and KONGOFF3 at Pax East?

That will never happen. That is not what PAX-East (and our presence there) is all about.

Rob Ross

on 11/19/2012 12:18:23 PM
Thanks for the info mpstulir. You must have created a good idea in the OFFs for others to copy it.

The Northwest Pinball and Arcade Show would be a sweet host for an OFF or multiple OFFs. They seem to acknowledge world record scores set at their event.

@tank
Jesus man you gotta hire a new comedy writer.

How about a POLE OFF for Pole Position? At least the turn over on games would be high because Pole Position last only about 8 minutes as opposed to a 4 hour game of DK.

Rob Ross

on 11/19/2012 12:29:10 PM
Another idea would be to have an OFF event, let's say a GALAGA OFF, and have 3 or 4 locations participating. In other words you have a GALAGA OFF on a specific weekend with a site in the USA, one in Canada, another in Australia and the last in the UK....all being streamed across the net with scores being entered into one database.

trickman
Official

on 11/19/2012 12:47:41 PM
Galloping Ghost does have competitions. A lot are for fighting games, and they most recently had a pinball competition. A multi-arcade competition for various classic games would be really awesome.

bestcellar

on 11/19/2012 12:51:33 PM
Galloping Ghost has had a couple of competitions besides the fighting and pinball stuff too, actually. There was an 3 on 3 arcade vs. arcade event featuring three of the best from GGA vs. 3 of the best from Underground Retrocade in late september featuring 7 classics (galaga, ms pac man turbo, time pilot, bump n jump, frogger, centipede, gyruss), and hopefully very soon there's rumored to be an OPEN tournament between the same arcades featuring (I think) 5 driving games (Pole Position, Turbo, Outrun, World Rally, A.P.B.)

tankgunnerOIF1

on 11/19/2012 1:10:34 PM

Rob Ross

on 11/19/2012 3:30:51 PM
Still not good enough tank.

You want laughs, maybe post some naked pics of Robbie Lakeman.

Not that I'm implying you somehow took naked poloroids of him during ACAM 14 or anything.

lakeman421

on 11/19/2012 3:53:41 PM
Rob Ross wants to see those naked pics, because he is curious if I live up to my nickname Leprechaun from the joystick at Funspot.

Rob Ross

on 11/19/2012 4:35:47 PM
Robbie, can u give us a rundown on what happened at the Kong Off 2? How was the site? How many spectators? Were the other players approachable? Were the cabinets awesome? How was the night life?

lakeman421

on 11/19/2012 5:06:36 PM
It was awesome. Great people and friendly environment. The place was packed and a lot of energy. Not only there was the Kong Off but players came to break records on other games. The set up was perfect and they had monitors to show games and Richie would announce when someone broke a record (Sound familiar?). I got to know most of the players and they all were friendly. I hung out with Steve Weibe for most of Saturday night and he was a great guy. Pretty much everybody was approachable if you wanted a picture or an autograph. It was overall well done. Most of the machines were in great shape. It was tough for the Wild Card players because there were 18 of them and only 4 machines. That would be the only thing, but I am sure they weren't anticipating that kind of participation. It will be interesting to see how they do the Kong Off 3. The 1UP was also great, it was a bar with machines all lined up on the walls and the bar was in the middle. One of the best places I've ever been to.

Rob Ross

on 11/19/2012 5:23:38 PM
Great write up, glad you had fun.

I don't get the "sounds familiar?" part of what you wrote.

lakeman421

on 11/19/2012 5:28:05 PM
You pretty much suggested those things for all tournaments like ACAM

Rob Ross

on 11/19/2012 7:25:24 PM
Ah, yes.

I did mention doing those things to improve the atmosphere of the ACAM tourneys.

Wow! Amazing that other people/events do stuff to create excitement.

ACAM
ACAM Admin

on 11/19/2012 8:42:23 PM

tankgunnerOIF1

on 11/19/2012 9:13:47 PM
@ ACAM Got any extra flyers for my gameroom?

Page: of 3 PagesGo To Next PageGo To Last Page

Forums   General Discussion  OTHER "OFFS"

Recent Scores
Michael D. Smith
5/5/2024
Michael D. Smith
5/5/2024
Michael D. Smith
5/5/2024
Michael D. Smith
5/5/2024
Michael D. Smith