Not Loged In - Login Now or Create Account
Public Forums
Forums   General Discussion  Logan Hardware - Chicago, IL

AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
tmbr_wulf

Logan Hardware - Chicago, IL
on 7/10/2011 9:50:39 AM
If you're in the area this is a place that you'll want to keep on your radar. This location first came to my attention around Jan. '11 when I heard that Steve Wiebe was going to be making a Donkey Kong attempt there. After doing some online research I found a short list of about 14 games and decided to submit it to Aurcade just to put it on the map. I finally got around to visiting it yesterday and I am really excited about this place.

I had to buy a couple of used CDs in order to be granted admission to the arcade, but when I got back there I saw that it had way more games then I had originally submitted off of that 3rd party list. The original list had 14 games, but after my visit I'm counting closer to 40 [I may have missed one or two.]

The real exciting thing about this place; this seems like it may be the tip of the iceberg. This place is sitting on more games and might be opening an official arcade in the next few months, hopefully... Until then, they still have a cool arcade that is set to free play, and all you have to do is buy something from the store to get in. I'm going to keep an eye on this place and hopefully we'll see something developing before the end of the year.

Auric
Founder

RE: Logan Hardware - Chicago, IL
on 7/10/2011 12:32:55 PM
Very nice! Keep us posted!

I drank WHAT!?! - Socrates

mazinger-z

on 4/3/2012 5:14:44 PM
hey guys,
here is a link to a video about when steve was here and also a teaser from the CAG tournament a few weeks ago. thanks to the guys that came out, it was really fun!

http://vimeo.com/25560972 (opening)

http://vimeo.com/39667113 (cag tourney)

mazinger-z

No Title
on 4/3/2012 5:14:44 PM

dauber

on 5/12/2012 11:36:25 PM
I just went to Logan Hardware for the first time today....where are these 40 video games that are listed here?? (Interesting that the listing doesn't include Donkey Kong, which is there -- especially because of Wiebe's world record attempt!)

There were maybe 15 plus a few pinball machines. Is there another room that I missed???

BTW, the list on this site mentions that the Ms. Pac-Man machine runs Ms. Pac-Attack ROMs. Actually, it's a multi-game unit. I found that out when I started a game and saw some....really strange, scrambled graphics. I turned the machine off and then back on and got a menu. It listed Ms. Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Attack, Ms. Pac-Man Plus, and options to change the settings. If you hit the 2-player start button, you get another page of options containing Pengo and a few titles I've NEVER heard of.

And no matter what game you select, you're given ONE life plus a bonus life if you earn it. Not fun.

Nashvillan
Admin

on 5/13/2012 12:45:33 AM
dauber Wrote:
I just went to Logan Hardware for the first time today....where are these 40 video games that are listed here?? (Interesting that the listing doesn't include Donkey Kong, which is there -- especially because of Wiebe's world record attempt!)

There were maybe 15 plus a few pinball machines. Is there another room that I missed???

BTW, the list on this site mentions that the Ms. Pac-Man machine runs Ms. Pac-Attack ROMs. Actually, it's a multi-game unit. I found that out when I started a game and saw some....really strange, scrambled graphics. I turned the machine off and then back on and got a menu. It listed Ms. Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Attack, Ms. Pac-Man Plus, and options to change the settings. If you hit the 2-player start button, you get another page of options containing Pengo and a few titles I've NEVER heard of.

And no matter what game you select, you're given ONE life plus a bonus life if you earn it. Not fun.

Hmm, well, all I can say is that often locations can change their lineup rather frequently and since this location hasn't been updated in over 5 months, I'm guessing they've had some turnover in those five short months. Perhaps they've had trouble maintaining the lineup?

I'll edit the Ms. Pac-Man and change it to Multicade. I guess Steve Wiebe did a Donkey Kong Jr world record attempt as well as a Donkey Kong world record attempt? Is DKjr still there?
I guess what we really need is someone from Logan Hardware to chime in and say just what they do have. Maybe even poll to see what kinds of games we as gamers would like to see over there.

dauber

on 5/13/2012 2:12:53 AM
Okay, maybe there were more than a dozen, but still, that list looks a little long...

Anyway, what I know for sure they don't have but is listed there:
Burgertime (although it's in the photos on their Facebook page; maybe out for repairs)
Centipede
Donkey Kong Jr.
Robocop
Scramble
Road Blasters
Popeye (Haven't played this one in years -- I so would have pounced on it)

And I don't THINK I saw these, but I could be wrong:
Aqua Jack
Vindicators Part II

And games they have but not listed on this site (all standard stand-up):
Berzerk
Crazy Climber
Donkey Kong (yup, they have it!)
Asteroids

BTW, the Donkey Kong machine has some issues with playing the sounds. No music when Kong escapes after the first level. No sound when you destroy a rivet. When you finish the rivet level, instead of the end-of-rivet-level music, you get the intro Dragnet music. And I know I heard the "How high" music at some point in the middle of a level. As far as I can tell, though, the graphics and game play were fine...indeed, I got my highest score ever on Donkey Kong today over there. (And believe me, my highest DK score is VERY pathetic! Never yet got to the pie factory level on the arcade version - that'll tell ya something!)

And the Stargate machine wasn't set to free play and there was no obvious way to bypass that...I would have asked for help if there were somebody nearby, but I decided it wasn't worth it so I moved on to another game.

There were several families of Gen-Xers showing their little kids the games they grew up with in the '80s -- and they were all having a blast...

I do love that they have public restrooms with genders designated by the appropriate Pac-Man sprites!

CKFan
Admin

on 5/13/2012 11:03:44 AM
He has a 2nd room that I think is closed normally. He had it open during the CAGDC tournament, and it took place in there. I don't know what he normally keeps on the floor, and I'm sure he rotates stuff in and out. He's also got a bunch of games in storage in various states of repair. I put the notation on the Ms Pac about it being Ms Pac Attack. I didn't reboot it, so when I played it, I didn't know about anything else being on it. The DK started acting up just before the CAGDC tourney in March, so evidently he hasn't had a chance to look at it, or it's not a simple fix. The Vindicators 2 was out in the main room during the tourney, it's in a Gauntlet style cab. He's also picked up some games since the tournament, including the Crazy Climber.

Nashvillan
Admin

on 7/30/2013 5:01:35 PM
Address has been updated! Make sure you know before you go. :)

tmbr_wulf

on 8/2/2013 11:42:36 AM
I submitted the original listings for LH and I stand by the ~40 that I submitted originally. Granted, I haven't been back since so I'm not sure what the deal is, and as Nash said places do change their line-up and lists need to be updated. And as I alluded to before, when I was there it seemed that there he had other games besides the ones that were present, so it's possible that the ones that you saw on the list but didn't find were swapped out.

That's why I try to take detailed notes when I visit new locations or re-visit old locations. Take a notepad with you, or take a video with your phone and zip by all the marquees so you can revisit it later and make a list. It's great to have a place on the map that you know that you can go to, but it takes extra work and vigilance to keep these places up to date and maintain the integrity of the listings.

Nashvillan
Admin

on 8/2/2013 10:52:36 PM
tmbr_wulf Wrote:

That's why I try to take detailed notes when I visit new locations or re-visit old locations. Take a notepad with you, or take a video with your phone and zip by all the marquees so you can revisit it later and make a list. It's great to have a place on the map that you know that you can go to, but it takes extra work and vigilance to keep these places up to date and maintain the integrity of the listings.

Well said. I like the idea of video walkthroughs and getting pictures of marquees. Just make sure you have the owner's permission before you do. I've seen a few walkthroughs where the owner took offense to the filming while he himself was being filmed. Other places strictly forbid it per company policy like Dave & Busters.

tkkalverm

on 8/3/2013 1:41:38 PM
I was thrilled when I went to this place for the first time, not only because I am a music buff, but also because they had some original machines in tip top shape. 40 games was accurate when I went there but they have recently moved to a new location a couple of doors down.

Games I recall them having include Tempest, Major Havoc, Nibbler, Centipede, Millipede, Berzerk, Pac Man, Ms Pac Man, Donkey Dong, Donkey Kong 3, Crazy Climber, Crossbow, Hyper Sports, Stargate, Gyruss, Bubbles, Moon Patrol, and a few others.

Page: of 1 Page

Forums   General Discussion  Logan Hardware - Chicago, IL

Recent Scores
Thomas Boyer
5/4/2024
Matt Gladem
5/4/2024
Brad Bach
4/29/2024
Brandon Travis
5/3/2024
Steven Lucas