Not Loged In - Login Now or Create Account
Public Forums
Forums   General Discussion  Arcade titles with different names

AuthorComments:  Page: of 1 Page
trickman
Official

Arcade titles with different names
on 5/24/2016 3:48:39 PM
Not sure if this has been asked before: How do you account for games that have different titles, but are essentially the same game? Are they still listed and scored under the original (U.S.) title, or is there a totally different listing and score for the alternate game title?

Example: Ninja Gaiden and Shadow Warriors are essentially the same game with different titles.

Crimefighter

RE: Arcade titles with different names
on 5/24/2016 9:06:44 PM
Usually they would put it in the description that it is "also known as".

But what about a game with the same name but significant gameplay differences?  Such as "The End" where the Konami and Stern versions play differently.  Or a game like Real Ghostbusters where the Japanese version is completely different due to localization and gameplay changes.

trickman
Official

on 5/25/2016 11:28:44 AM
Also, what about a 2-player version of a (normally) 4-player game? i.e. Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles 2-P -- should it have a separate listing, or stay under Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

Nashvillan
Admin

on 5/26/2016 12:42:30 AM
I have reviewed all the comments.

While there is no clear cut format per say (for example, I know that there is one entry that says Gaplus/Galaga 3) I generally like to keep the two titles separate and mention that one is a copy of the other. 

If there are multiple games with the same name (like Batman or Avengers) there's not much I can do about it except ask that you pay attention to the company that made it and the year it came out.  Most often these will be different.  Ghostlord and I do our best to include screenshots and detailed descriptions. 

I do not differentiate between 2 player and 4 player versions of a game.  That's what cabinet style and number of simultaneous players are for.  If you have a generic X-Men cabinet with four players, I'll say it's an upright cabinet with four players simultaneous.  If it is the larger, more desirable cabinet, I will say the cabinet is a deluxe upright with six players simultaneous.  In both cases, the same X-Men listing will appear.

Good question.  Thanx

Crimefighter

on 5/27/2016 12:44:07 AM
Since scores are one player only it isn't really relevant how many players a cab supports in actuality.

trickman
Official

on 6/2/2016 12:41:56 PM
So, in the case of TMNT, an addition to the description should read, "aka Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles (2P)" Correct?

Please note -- There is a one word change - from Ninja to Hero, due to the ban of the word Ninja in the UK in the '80s & '90s.

Page: of 1 Page

Forums   General Discussion  Arcade titles with different names

Recent Scores
James White
4/15/2024
Kevin Jimenez
4/15/2024
Damien Cordova
4/15/2024
Andrew Iwaszko
4/15/2024
James White